About the Role
The Assistant Manager will manage the day-to-day processing operations of the retail store. The Assistant Manager will direct, coordinate, and monitor the retail store activities and business. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for supervising and training processing employees. They will be directly responsible for housewares and décor, and must be able to interact with customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists Manager in planning, prioritizing, assigning, monitoring and supervising employees, clients and/or volunteers daily job duties
• Schedule and coordinate employee days and hours of work weekly
• Answer questions, advise, demonstrate and train employees and/or clients on customer service, cash register operation, stocking methods, cleaning, and safety procedures
• Promote customer recognition and build a repeat customer base
• Monitor housewares and décor sales in store
• Manage housewares and décor store layout
• Provide good customer service and reply to customer needs and ensure employees do the same
• Operate cash register, prepare cash register forms, balance and record reports and ensure employees do the same
• Ensure that donated goods are received, sorted and processed
• Organize and ensure store is cleaned and displays changed weekly
• Other duties as assigned
• High school diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of four (4) years of fast-paced, retail management or other relevant work experience
• A minimum of eighteen (18) months of related full-time paid employment, including at least twelve (12) months of supervisory experience
• Possess a highly developed sense of customer service and interpersonal skills including high integrity, respect for all individuals (customers, vendors, and employees), strong critical and analytical thinking skills, and appreciation of diversity
• Knowledge of retail management best practices
• Ability to perform basic math calculations
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing
• Ability to read and comprehend internal documents related to store operations
• Possess valid driver’s license with a good driving record and be insurable
• Ability to perform continuous walking, stooping, standing, bending, kneeling and climbing for prolong period of time (up to 7 hours per 8-hour shift), as well as lift up to 20 pounds repeatedly, and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
• Committed to and support of the mission and vision of Many Hands Thrift Market Clive and Many Hands for Haiti.
• Ability to treat others with respect regardless of age, sex, race, or status
Special Position Requirements
• Work a flexible, full-time schedule to include days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Attend offsite meetings
About the Company
Voted the Best Thrift Store in the Des Moines Metro, Many Hands Thrift Market creates
meaningful shopping experiences through selling high-quality, second-hand goods.
Owned and operated by the non-profit Many Hands for Haiti, all profits generated from
the retail operations go to support local and global missions.
For more information, please visit https://www.manyhandsthrift.com and www.mh4h.org.